Members, supporters and contacts
WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE HOLD ON OUR MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS
- If you have provided it, we hold the following:
- a. Your name, postal address, email address and telephone number
- b. Your Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn identifiers
- c. Details of payments you have made to us
- d. Your bank account and sort code (if you have authorised us to take direct debits)
- e. Issues you are interested in (if you sign petitions we publish).
HOW WE GET YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- All the data we hold has been supplied by you to Compass, directly or via an online system which you have authorised to supply it to us. For example, a payment or social media system.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- We use your data for three purposes:
- a. If you are a member, to manage your membership, including collecting your subscription, enabling you to exercise your membership rights (for example by voting in elections) and to provide information on the activities you are paying for. This enables us to fulfil our contract with you.
- b. If you are a member or supporter, to provide you with information on our activities, including asking for financial support for them and collecting any payments you have authorised. This reflects our legitimate interests.
- c. If you have made a payment to us, to keep accounting records. This enables us to meet our legal obligations.
- d. If you contact us by email, we will hold the information you provide so that we can communicate with you. This reflects our legitimate interests.
- If you provided us with an email address before 25 May 2018 to receive information about our activities (as opposed, for example, to providing it in correspondence) we will treat that as implicit consent to receive emails from us about our activities. We will always provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of receiving further emails. From 25 May 2018 we will explicitly ask for your consent to this when you provide your email address.
WHO WE PROVIDE YOUR DATA TO
- We only provide your data to other people for the purposes above as follows:
- a. To our own staff, volunteers and contractors (including data processing companies) who are under a legal duty to keep it confidential.
- b. To HM Revenue and Customs, the Electoral Commission or similar organisations, where we are required by law to do so.
- We may use your data in connection with an activity arranged by an organisation working in partnership with us (for example, organising a conference) but we will not share your data with them.
- We do not sell or share your data.
- We publish information on large donations (currently over £5,000) in our annual report and accounts, in the interests of transparency of funding.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATA FOR
- If you ask us to delete it, we will delete your data as soon as reasonably practicable. The only exception to this is if you have made a payment to us – in this case we will not delete your data while we are legally required to retain it in our accounting records, usually for six complete financial years.
- Unless you ask us to delete it, we will keep your data for as long as we are likely to use it for one of the purposes set out above, which may be indefinitely. We will regularly delete data which we believe is no longer accurate or up to date.
YOUR RIGHTS IN RELATION TO YOUR DATA
- Whenever you ask us to, we will do the following as soon as reasonably practicable:
- a. Send you a copy of any data we hold on you
- b. Delete any data held on you, except where we are legally required to retain it
- c. Correct any errors in the data we hold on you, and notify anyone we have shared it with, if reasonably practicable to do so
- d. Stop processing your data, while continuing to hold it, unless and until we decide we have a legitimate interest in resuming processing it that overrides your request.
- We will not charge you for doing any of these things.
- Whenever we communicate with you we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of receiving communications about our activities. Communications about your existing subscription or the governance of Compass are not marketing communications and we will continue to send you these if you are a member.
- If you wish to exercise any of these rights, or to ask for more information, please email us at email@example.com or write to us at Compass, PO Box 74659, London, WC1A 9PG.
ABOUT THIS POLICY
- We will review and update this policy from time to time. The current version will always be available on our website if you wish to see it.
- This policy only relates to the data we process about our members, supporters and contacts. We have a separate policy relating to job and volunteering applicants, current and former employees, and volunteers, contractors and other suppliers. You can obtain a copy of this policy as set out in paragraph 14 above.
Last updated 7 June 2018.
Please see here for our Cookies policy.